Thursday, January 7, 2010

Mom's Chili and Mom-Mow's Mississippi Corn Bread

I used the family cookbook that my mother put together that I spoke of in my last post.  It was great to be able to make some of the family dishes.  I decided since we are having some record cold weather down in Florida that I would make some chili and cornbread.  I usually use some other receipe, but then remembered the special cookbook that my mother gave me for Christmas. 

I looked through to find that my mother's chili was there and my mom-mow's cornbread was also there.  My mother is from Maine and my grandmother from the south.  So, north and south came together on our dinner table that evening.

The only thing that I did not take into account that my mother always made large portions because of having 5 girls and a husband.  I made the chili with all of the ingredients that it called for and added green pepper.  I did not even think of the size.  This is a chili that is cooked in a crockpot on low for several hours.  I have a very large crockpot.  This receipe was HUGE!  It went all the way to the rim of the crockpot.  We had chili for days.  It was very Yummy and David enjoyed the leftovers.


No comments:

Post a Comment